When using QuickBooks, one of the most essential features of this extensive application is its backup features. As you are probably aware, backing up your data is very important, and your financial information and processes are probably some of the most important data.
While you may be inclined to just let your usual computer back service/system do a full back up, this may not be as inclusive as the backup services provided by QuickBooks.
Here are some instructions on how to set up QuickBooks automatic backup, schedule backup, and backup reminders — all of which are important steps to keeping your financial and company data safe and secure.
QuickBooks can be set up to back up automatically after you close your company file a certain number of times. For instance, you can set it up so that every three times you close a particular company file, QuickBooks will perform a backup without any input from you.
Here’s how to set up QuickBooks automatic backups:
- Go to the File menu, select Save Copy/Backup. This will open the Save Copy or Backup window.
- Select the Backup Copy entry, click Next
- Click Options to set your back defaults, i.e. where you want to save your local back up and so on, click Next.
- Choose either Use This Location orChange Location. Click Next.
- Click Only schedule future backups or Save it Now and schedule future backups; click Next.
- In the Save backup copy automatically when I close my company file every <number> times box, place the desired number.
- Click Finish
- At the File menu, click on Save Copy or Backup, which will open the backup wizard.
- Click Backup Copy, then Next
- Click Options to set up or verify your backup defaults (e.e. where you want to save the local backup). Click Next.
- Click Only to schedule future backups (creates a schedule that won’t run a backup). Click Next.
- In the Schedule section of the Backup window, click New.
- Enter a description for your backup. This name will appear in the list of scheduled backups for easy future reference.
- Click Browse to select the folder/destination you want to store the backup copies.
- Note: Backups cannot be scheduled to a CD-ROM.
- You have the option to click the check box to Number of backupcopies to keep and enter a number.
- Click Store Password to open the Store Windows Password section and enter the requested login information. Ensure that the login you enter has permissions for the location.
- Selected the time, frequency, and days for the backup. For instance, if you wish to run a daily backup, select all days of the week, and run the task every “1” week.
- Click OK and you will then return to the previous window. The scheduled back will appear in the list of Backup on a Schedule window.
There may be times you wish to be reminded to make backups; however, you want the option of whether or not to actually create the backup. This is where you can set up reminders. By using this feature, you can determine when and how often you will be reminded. Along with when the reminder appears, you can also choose whether or not to actually perform the backup.
Here’s how to set up Backup Reminders
- Go to the File menu, select Save Copy or Backup
- Choose Select Backup Copy, click Next
- Click Options
- In the Tell us where to save your back up copies (required) field – You have the choice to enter the exact directory, or you can browse to the desired direction you wish to save the backup. You do have the ability to change the location when making the backup; however, setting up a default will save time.
- Select Remind me to back up when closing data every <number> times checkbox, then enter the desired number
- The next step is optional: Select Add the date and time of the backup to the file name (recommended) checkbox
- Click OK
Please contact us if you would like more information about these very important QuickBook processes.