In Part One of our blog titled “QuickBooks Pro vs. Premier vs. Enterprise vs. Accountant 2019”, we examined each of the different versions and discussed the entities that are best suited for each.
In Part Two, we will be discussing factors that will come into play when considering upgrading your current version of QuickBooks.
Generally speaking, you should upgrade your desktop version of QuickBooks approximately every three years. Intuit stops supporting and updating each year’s edition after three years. You may consider upgrading earlier should the newer editions’ features would be helpful to your company.
For instance, upgrading to a new version can give you additional features such as:
- Extended inventory tracking
- Expand record capacity for customers, vendors, item records
- Overall improved performance
Signs You Might Need to Upgrade
You should consider an upgrade if you need features such as the ones mentioned above. You may need to upgrade to the Premier or Enterprise versions should you require:
- Complex inventory tracking
- Need more capacity for higher data amounts
- Your computer performance is diminished — If your version is running slow, you may also need to upgrade your computer as well
As we said, the software will become obsolete after three years. While the software will continue to work within its basic functions, the software will no longer be updated nor will you have access to technical support.
Versions Are Updated Each Year
Intuit releases a new edition/version of QuickBooks every year. You will see that the version-year noted on a QuickBooks edition is the actual year of the product, i.e., QuickBooks Premier 2019. Each new version will include new features that the prior year’s version did not and/or improvements to existing features.
One of the biggest things to understand when considering an update is that Intuit will discontinue supporting particular versions after three years. This is an important reason to upgrade so you will always have support should you run into any issues with QuickBooks.
QuickBooks offers free tech support for the first 30 days. Then you will need to purchase a support plan for any future support, with several plans available for the different versions.
Check out the list of new features for Pro, Premier and Enterprise for 2019. These new features may help you decide if you need a new version or an upgrade.
QuickBooks Pro and QuickBooks Premier
- Manage bills — View/manage unpaid vendor bills
- Transfer credits — Overpayments can be transferred from customers to other unpaid invoices with just one click
- Invoice tracker — Real tracking/visibility of invoice status
- Data file optimization — Helps reduce the size of QuickBooks file without deleting data
- Sick/vacation day accrual — Easily calculate employee sick time/vacation days accrual
- Improved payroll permissions — Administrator will have the ability to provide visibility permissions to payroll information to specific users
- Cycle counts — Inventory counts can be performed via an Android smartphone app
- Improve pick, pack, ship routing
- One-click credit transfer — Credits can be transferred easily across customers and jobs
- Inventory reports filter — You will be able to exclude or include inactive inventory into valuation reports
At InfinitySync, we are pleased to provide this valuable information about QuickBooks. We strive to give you all the information necessary to utilize the best features of our product that successfully bridges WooCommerce, the top eCommerce platform to QuickBooks. Please call us today to see how we can propel your online company forward through our elegant solution.